What if you are just one great idea away from building massive momentum and achieving your writing dreams? If you have ever wanted to write a book but didn’t know where to start, I can relate. For years I wanted to be published. I tried to publish. Yet, I failed over and over again. Then, one great idea changed everything. I share this idea and much more in my new book, Ten Great Ideas for Authors!
The Power of Ideas
I remember the exact moment I heard the two words that changed everything. It was the spring of 2014. I was listening to a podcast as I backed our white minivan out of our apartment’s overly crowded parking lot. Then the speaker said those two magical words–“Writer’s write!” For a brief moment, time stood still. While Reflecting on the previous two years of my writing journey, I noticed:
- I daydreamed about writing a book.
- I talked about writing a book.
- Studied spelling and grammar.
- Read books about writing and listening to author podcasts.
- I focused on building up my social media audience so I could promote my book after it was published.
Suddenly, the solution became glaringly obvious. I wasn’t published because I was not laser-focused on the one thing that matters most. Above all else, writers must write!
Small Ideas & Big Results
When writing, small ideas can generate big results. In Rich Dad Poor Dad, Robert Kiyosaki writes,
“Every self-made person started small with an idea, and then turned it into something big.”Robert Kiyosaki
Small ideas can be incredibly powerful. I know because the day after I discovered this great idea, I set my alarm for 5 am. After waking up, I brewed a pot of coffee, opened my laptop, and began to write.
Fast-forward five years. I’ve published 18 books, helped my ten-year-old daughter publish her first book, and started a new career as a writing coach. One great idea is all it took to ignite this incredible adventure. I believe the same is true for you. One great idea is all it takes to get the momentum going!
More Great Ideas for Authors
If you are looking for great ideas to start your author adventure, here are some simple steps you can take immediately.
- First, dive into my book Ten Great Ideas for Authors. It’s a quick, non-nonsense read where I reveal ten things I wish I knew before I started writing. Here is what readers have to say:
Every suggestion in this book is perfect advice on “those days,” the days when things either aren’t going well or they don’t feel like they’re going at all. It’s a book I will definitely keep on hand for quick encouragement!Marie A
It would be hard to find a more valuable hour and a half for a young author than reading this book. Got me back inspired to get to work on my book that has been lying dormant for the last month and a half!Aaron
- Second, check out this post by my friend Scott Allen, entitled How to Publish Step-by-Step. Even if you are not ready to publish yet, this post is still an excellent read. Scott takes a complicated process and makes it feel doable. Before you start writing, I want you to know that you can do this!
- Then, pick a time and start writing. Consistency is key. If this is something you struggle with, you’ll want to check out this post to make time for writing. It’s packed with great ideas for authors and tons of motivation for getting your writing done.
- Finally, to supercharge your writing adventure, check out this post on creating a writing routine. I’m a firm believer that mornings are the best time to write. Writing is an integral part of my routine and a part of my day I love. Whether you write better in the morning or the evening, the most important thing is to put together a plan and stick with it.
What is Your Great Idea?
In this post, I share a few great ideas for authors. Did any of them resonate with you? If you’ve already written a book, how did you do it, and what great ideas supercharged your author journey? I’d love to hear from you and continue the conversation in the comments below!
P.S. For more writing ideas, be sure to visit our writing resources page. I pull back the curtain and show you all of my favorite writing resources. You can also check out my book Ten Great Ideas for Authors, where you will discover creative writing prompts and strategies to jump-start your author journey. I truly believe you are only one great idea away from writing success!